View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Sherlock Holmes 

Post Sherlock Holmes
'kay, so Robert Downey Jr as Sherlock Holmes with Guy Ritchie directing. Good idea or bad ?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090331/ap_ ... _downey_jr

Regards,
David R

Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:00 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Sherlock Holmes
David R wrote:
'kay, so Robert Downey Jr as Sherlock Holmes with Guy Ritchie directing. Good idea or bad ?

I can't remember one Arthur Conan Doyle adaptation for the screen working. It's always been shitty. I can't imagine that Ritchie and Downey will do worse, so just for that, it's a positive. I'm looking forward to it!

OTOH, Guy Ritchie has had problems getting away from the Lock Stock mold. When he drifts too far away from that model, his movies tend to suck. But you can't really keep on doing the same thing over and over again. So I will be curious to see if he can pull it off.

A great Sherlock Holmes movie would please me!

My mod voice is red

Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:20 am
Profile E-mail

RDJ taking cocaine and bending iron bars? I can see that....

Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:59 am
Profile E-mail

My concern is the "seen it all before" vibe I'm getting from this project. As in Johnny Depp in From Hell.....

Regards,
David R

Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:32 am
Profile E-mail

I am wary of this film. Adding in a high level of action doesn't really make something better. The actors won't do bad with what they have, heck there are some good actors in this movie. But I don't it will mesh well.

Then again I'm not your typical movie goer. I'm a huge fan of the Jeremy Brett and David Burke series.

Ah well, being a Sherlock Holmes fan I will probably go see this one as well.

Currently writing: the 'Be a Better Player' article series on my blog.
Currently running: Red Box D&D at an irregular basis.

Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:44 am
Profile E-mail WWW

You know, it occurs to me that Sherlock Holmes is the most god-awful GMPC ever in a gaming context.

Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:43 am
Profile E-mail

I am feeling positive. My main concern is, as CD pointed out, Ritchie's recent tendencies to fall back on the same old, same old. I think he has a lot of vigour and liveliness as a director so let's hope that putting him in a new context will help bring it out in a less lazy way.

As for canon, I'm a huge sherlock holmes fan, but since the Jeremy Brett/David Burke series did such an amazing job (CD, are you not aware of this? If you're a fan, you should check them out) I am no longer freaked out about it getting butchered. It could even be a bit of a pleasant surprise if they are able to revisit the material with a more 21st century perspective, while retaining the base awesomeoness (their relationship, the call to adventure, Holmes' succesful eccentricity, the understanding of the existence of real evil).

Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:21 am
Profile E-mail WWW

walkerp wrote:
As for canon, I'm a huge sherlock holmes fan, but since the Jeremy Brett/David Burke series did such an amazing job (CD, are you not aware of this? If you're a fan, you should check them out)

Yeah, I vaguely remember. I don't think I've watched many and it's been a long time. Hmmm... maybe I should try to get my hand on this if it's been released in DVD...

Thanks, man!

My mod voice is red

Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:03 pm
Profile E-mail

I like the earlier Holmes stuff. After the death ressurection stuff, everything seems to get solved out of the living room- and the most interesting stuff (the whole conflict with Moriarity) for instance, seems to take place only, or at least for the most part, in exposition.
I think a young vibrant Holmes who can box and and engages in steam ship chases might be kind of neat. I think more action is the thing Holmes needs.

Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:36 pm
Profile E-mail

Yeah, Brett nailed it and left a legacy unlikely to be topped.

I am unfortunately expecting this new teaming to produce something akin to The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen from 2003.

Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:30 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next