View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
The Legend of the Seeker 

Post The Legend of the Seeker
Who's watching the series? I've rediscovered it on my Netflix queue after catching the first few episodes on Hulu over the summer.

It's based on the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind (of which, I really only read the first book, but did thoroughly enjoy it). The shows don't really follow the orders of the books, but they do seem to have the blessings of the author, and share a lot of plot lines. The actors are perfect fit for what I imagined from reading, and the production values are pretty high. in particular, I really, really like the music and the fight scenes are awesome.

If you haven't seen it, check it out--you don't really need to have read the books to enjoy, and the actress portraying Kahlan? So, sooooo hot. :D

Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:24 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: The Legend of the Seeker
I've been watching it. A little like Xena without the camp, and a body count higher than my old D&D games.

R

Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:22 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: The Legend of the Seeker
I have been watching it from the beginning. I almost always give anything fantasy/sci-fi related a chance because, dammit, I want to. I'm about three episodes behind - they stack up on the TiVo and then when we feel like it, the wife and I watch a few at a time.

First off, it's not bad for what it is. Like others have mentioned, it's a bit like Hercules or Xena. Although I get the comparison, IMHO LotS is different in important ways - most notably, it's not as campy as the others got, particularly in their later seasons.

Second, there's hotness for many tastes - not just for those who like women. Sure, those of us who do get Kahlan (Bridget Regan) and Cara (Tabrett Bethell) to look at (not to mention the other lovely lasses that often appear in various episodes). But my wife gets Richard (Craig Homer) to ogle, so the complaints about T&A are non-existent.

Third, they have decent fight scenes. For the most part, they don't overuse the super slow-motion footage - though I wish they'd do a little less as the seasons wear on. Most battles are very much like D&D battles in that they are small groups. So usually we don't get Richard and Kahlan fighting hundreds of fighters (though it's happened).

Fourth, the plots are not too bad. I will admit the general "we have to stop here and help these people" was getting a bit tired. But they've added a few things in this season that help alleviate it a bit.

Fifth, the acting isn't that bad. It's not as good as Firefly, but you could see the actors get their feet in the first season.

Overall, against any type of TV show, I'd give a C+. For the genre, I give it a solid B.

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:09 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]