View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Axis & Allies Miniatures 

Post Axis & Allies Miniatures
So one of my birthday gifts was Axis & Allies Miniatures. My brief review was posted here.

Quote:
So it's pretty obvious how they're looking to make their money on this. A&A mini's is one part collectibles, one part turn based strategy game, and one part board game. All in all I'd say it does a good job at all three.

You get a starter set, which has enough to field two armies. (One controlled by each player.) You also get a fold out map, which isn't earth-shattering in it's level of detail but it works. I'm betting the maps will be the weak link in this game-wear and tear, etc...means they'll get tore up fast. Luckily WoTC has some pretty nice online support. Free down-loadable maps and more!

Each piece get's a matching card. The card details it's abilities-attack, defense, movement, etc... All in all they seem pretty well balanced. Figuring out how to play isn't child like easy, but we figured it out in less than a few minutes. You can make it as complicated as you'd like, but it has options to do less complicated games, or conversely as complicated as your heart desires.

The detail of the miniatures are actually pretty amazing. This may be my low expectation of how detailed I expect them to be, but damned they are cool. Each set contains a "random" selection of pieces-I'd love to know how they randomize them, mostly out of curiosity not out of some sort of cynicism. I can see pretty easily how they can make money just off of the collectible nature of these pieces alone.

Game play is pretty easy. You basically have a move phase, an attack phase, and a result phase. One thing I did to make it a little easier was snag an extra couple of dice-so that the Allied player had white dice, and the Axis player had an equal number of red dice. (All six sided.)

All in all I have a very favorable impression of this game.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:10 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]