View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
S&W: Infidelus 

Post Re: S&W: Infidelus
On a side note:

Jim Skach wrote:
Quit crying about Simmon (two m's? who knew?). Why don't you just play and quit worrying about it.

Yeah. Shut up and roll the dice! :D

Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:16 pm

Gladly.
So we doing this at your place on Saturdays Skatch? :lol:

Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:58 am
Profile E-mail

Yesterday was interesting. A bunch of folks were out, so we scrambled - I used the Infidelus rules and ran three characters (and an NPC) into B1 In Search of the Unknown. We had some fun with the characters goofing around in the tavern and then off to the dungeon. The fact that we were essentially killing time (and taking its stuff) led to some more PvP play or at least a little less cohesion - to the point that one character was left to die so they could a take a cheap onyx statue he found....

Anyway, it let us play with the rules a bit more. For the heck of it, I let the fighters try out a rule where they could divide their level by the HD of their opponents and use that for the number of attacks per round. At 3rd level, the fighters were deadly against the poor small groups of orcs the wandering monster tables provided. So it means at higher levels more orcs should occur (but that shits on my sandbox-y approach), or I should tweak the rule a bit.

So towards the end when a wandering monster came up, and someone had just previously joked about not having killed them all yet, I decide to throw an owl bear at them. It was a nice little combat and the dying cleric (he was bit by a spider and had 10 turns before he died, the poison sapping a point of con each turn) got killed - mostly because his companions left him out alone and hit the owl bear from range. I was starting to clean up, and Ulthar said he wanted one more combat. So I threw a Rhinotaur (a cheap figure I ran out and bought on clearance) at them and gave him the stats of a Minotaur. The point of all this is to say that for the fun of it, we let the monster use the same mechanism as the characters - 0 HP roll on the injury table, etc. Won't make that mistake again! Wow did that drag out the combat. Now in this case it didn't matter - we were ending early and it was just for laughs.

We did not have a wizard, so I didn't mess with sleep.

All in all, I got some nice little things to mull over just from this few-hour-just-for-laughs-session.

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:08 pm
Profile E-mail

I have been doing stuff with Infidelus in the small spaces in between, but more trying to get setting ideas and such down (as well as getting bogged in things like the Great Silver Chase of '10).

One of the things I have been toying with is changing the way AC is figured completely...essentially having every person start at 0 and let Agility (an additional stat different form Dexterity) be their AC. Then let Armor work as damage reduction.

Yeah, I know, been there, done that, got the ablative t-shirt. I'm not saying I'm breaking new ground here.

Anyway, all this is really to say that this post over on Jeff's Game Blog got me to thinking. Instead of it just being a consolation prize, however, it made me wonder - what if it wasn't the to-hit that changed as a function of level/class. What if your damage was based on class?

So if you're a fighter using a long sword, your damage is 1d10, whereas if you're a thief, it's 1d8. Cleric? Your damage is 1d6.

Maybe in addition to having a better chance to hit?

And then let them both get better as the character levels and keep the to-hit discrepancy in favor of the Fighter. Would that be enough to balance the fighter and thief against their magic wielding friends at higher level?

Huh...

Oh...and does anybody know how to set up a good comparison of armor as addition to AC versus armor as DR? My stat/math/comparison skills aren't up to the task...

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:06 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15