View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Star Wars Anthology Campaign 

Post Star Wars Anthology Campaign
I'm really buzzing about an idea I pitched to my playgroup for an upcoming campaign to run for them. The idea is that we create a starship crew for some kind of smaller ship that works odd jobs in the Star Wars universe some time between the 3rd and 4th movie (that's after Revenge of the Sith and before A New Hope). The players will have a choice of any of the species, but no jedi. They will choose roles on the ship, their relationship, what they want to be doing, who owns it, all that stuff. We will build stories around that premise.

The part I'm buzzing about is that we will start off using the Star Wars d6 system (the West End Games version of Star Wars) for the first few games, then we will flip systems. Same characters, same campaign, same fiction, but we will re-create the PCs in the new system and see how it affects the playstyles and the stories we tell together.

I've been trying to think of what systems I might like to use. Other than d6 WEG, of course, I am going to try FATE (the system for Spirit of the Century, Dresden Files, Diaspora and Starblazer Adventures), Solar System (the Shadow of Yesterday system), Swashbucklers of the Seven Skies (using Ryan's mods plus whatever I need for the PCs), then Dogs in the Vineyard, Mouse Guard and maybe Primetime Adventures.

I am looking forward to all the prep work involved, from creating player packets, custom character sheets, some kind of deckplans and pics for the ship, revisiting my old WEG sourcebooks... but I also am stoked about mixing together all these systems and seeing what happens when we try them with the same character stories and focus.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

"Thunk weeeooo KABLAM!" - Thalaba
@orklord you're the octopus of podcasting - boulet

Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:02 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Star Wars Anthology Campaign
Wait, you are going to make this switch more than once?

If you can get your group to agree, then go for it.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:10 am
Profile E-mail WWW

They've agreed. I don't know how I will transition, maybe between "missions" / jobs / storylines.

I swear I think they're just buzzed about doing sci-fi, playing Star Wars and mostly humoring me.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:17 am
Profile E-mail

That sounds really cool. I'd aim for the flip between missions/adventures. However, I think it is important that the adventures have a formulaic structure to get a good comparison.

Something fairly generic like this:
Hook
Gather Info
Chase Scene (a must for any Star Wars tale)
Schmooze/Undercover/Gather Info
Shoot-Out
Monster (also must for any Star Wars tale)
Making Plans
Boss Fight

If one takes into account how much Star Wars owes to the serials and swashbuckling stories, a formulaic approach is quite appropriate.

Actually I believe the formulaic approach is why my own Star Wars game went over as well as it did.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:40 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Last night I was poring over some of the WEG Star Wars books I bought used "just because" and thinking about this game. I am a bit torn on the set-up that I want to suggest to the group. My initial ideas are as follows:

1. The Star Wars setting is a backdrop only. The campaign revolves around the straship and the crew with touches on some Star Wars setting and framework, but the PCs are not rebels they are independent of the whole galactic conflict. Think of a Firefly-type game with Star Wars trappings and species. I like this option because we can really tell our own stories with this approach, we aren't beholden to anything in canon, we can just pick a set of worlds and go. This would be business / poliitical / social type game (and I could sneak in StarCluster playtesting in the rotation, too!).

2. I tell them #1 but over the course of the initial game, the Empire keeps pressuring them until the players decide to join the Rebellion out of spite. The part about this I like is that I am interested to see if enough Imerial entanglements would actually push a group into joining the Alliance.

3. I suggest to the group that we start off independent and move towards Rebellion and we play through the "relude" piece of the players being regular tramp freighter crew until they join the rebels and then they run missions as a rebel cell. I like this option because it has clear buy-in and makes for easier session construction.

Thoughts?

Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:42 pm
Profile E-mail

What I would find innovative if I was to play with you would be to play characters that are tied to the empire on an employment basis (outsourcing some logistics or sth). And then the PCs are approached by the rebel alliance who'd like to turn them into active agents for info or sabotage. It could be a nice resistance/star wars combo.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:52 pm

boulet wrote:
What I would find innovative if I was to play with you would be to play characters that are tied to the empire on an employment basis (outsourcing some logistics or sth). And then the PCs are approached by the rebel alliance who'd like to turn them into active agents for info or sabotage. It could be a nice resistance/star wars combo.

That is pretty catchy. I worry it might make the multi-system experiment more difficult. But it is tempting... especially when we dip our toes in the more emo small press games.

Another thought I'm having is if the campaign idea for Star Wars doesn't have to mean the exact same PCs, but that all the stories are inter-related.

FREX: In my White Wolf days, I was running a Werewolf game for the pack, they were investigating something. Next session, I hand out pre-gen NPC monster hunters in Hong Kong who run through some scenes and end up in a room about to face a pack of monsters on the other side of a big door, they ready weapons and the session ends. Next week, we go back to the werewolf pack, they find out the macguffin is in Hong Kong, travel along until they come to a locked door...

It adds a degree of difficulty and could cause some dissonance with a couple of my players who really like to dig into one PC and make it "their guy".

Thoughts?

Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:03 pm
Profile E-mail

Bump for the GenConners, would love some more feedback on this.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:48 am
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]