View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
[MtB] Wish me luck on my first playtest 

[MtB] Wish me luck on my first playtest
Tonight I will be playtesting my Lady Blackbird hack I'm calling "Making the Bigs". Its a minor league baseball setting in small-town American yesteryear.

I know there are some holes in my hack for resolving an entire nine inning game, but I'm so psyched to get this thing on the virtual table (we're playing over Skype)! I want to see how it feels, if it will be fun for the group and fun to GM.

This is just a quick message of excitement and me hoping it doesn't crash and burn like my only other playtest of another game I was trying to write.

"Thunk weeeooo KABLAM!" - Thalaba
@orklord you're the octopus of podcasting - boulet

Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:15 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: [MtB] Wish me luck on my first playtest
Best of luck! Be sure to let us know how it goes. And I'm quite curious to hear about your hack. I may be running straight Lady Blackbird at Roludothon II this Sunday. It turns out the version I played was quite hacked!

Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:23 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Site Admin

walkerp wrote:
Best of luck! Be sure to let us know how it goes. And I'm quite curious to hear about your hack. I may be running straight Lady Blackbird at Roludothon II this Sunday. It turns out the version I played was quite hacked!

Good luck with LB, orklord! It sounds like a blast! One of these days I'm going to write my own baseball game... :D

-clash

I FLY BY NIGHT Blog: http://iflybynight.blogspot.com/

Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:43 pm
Profile E-mail

One playtester's flight was delayed, so we postponed until next week.

*sigh*

Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:18 pm
Profile E-mail

They are already undermining you!

Maybe in the meantime you could share with us at least what the set-up is. For those that don't know, Lady Blackbird is an amazingly elegant synthesis of rules, setting and situation in 16 pages that basically emulates Firefly. It's set up in medias res with things in the pre-generated characters' sheets that immediately start the ball rolling and enough tools for the GM and players to keep them going for at least one session and optimally probably several more.

So what is the situation for an olde tyme baseball team? What are the conflicts? Who are the various parties involved?

It makes me think of James Sturm's The Golem's Mighty Swing and Satchel Paige: Striking Out Jim Crow.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:25 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

walkerp wrote:
They are already undermining you!

Nah, I knew he was flying in, delays happen. S'cool.

Quote:
Maybe in the meantime you could share with us at least what the set-up is. For those that don't know, Lady Blackbird is an amazingly elegant synthesis of rules, setting and situation in 16 pages that basically emulates Firefly. It's set up in medias res with things in the pre-generated characters' sheets that immediately start the ball rolling and enough tools for the GM and players to keep them going for at least one session and optimally probably several more.

Here's the front page blurb from the playtest doc (which I tailored to having two playtesters, it was originally for four players):

It's the dog days of August in a bygone American era. The days are long and sticky hot. The air is filled with the smell of hot dogs, peanuts and popcorn and the sounds of small-town baseball. All summer long, the underdog Rail City Rumblers have been trounced by their next-door "big city" neighbors, the hated rival "Dogtown" Cardinals.
-------------------------------------
TOMORROW, the Rumblers play a weekend series, their last few games of the season, against the Cardinals in Dogtown. The pride of Rail City is riding on these games. If the Rumblers have any hope of regaining some respect for themselves and a chance at future greatness, the Rumblers must win this series. The reputation of the entire town depends on these games.

-------------------------------------
RIGHT NOW, a couple of the star players of the Rumblers are on the side of the road in Dogtown, police lights flashing. The drunk as a skunk third baseman Warren is in the car with Joe and Stan. If the Dogtown cops arrest them, there's no way the Rumblers have a chance of winning against the Cardinals this weekend.

Quote:
So what is the situation for an olde tyme baseball team? What are the conflicts? Who are the various parties involved?

The situation is above, but there are also conflicts with townsfolk and between the players. The conflicts are 1> winning the games 2> keeping the team from self-destructing 3> achieving personal goals

The missing bits are gaping holes, but I am at a point where I have to see it in play to know where to go.

Quote:

Walkerp, I dig those webcomic links. I'd heard of The Golem on a comics podcast I like, but the Satchel Page one is a real find. I am going to pick that one up.

Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:53 pm
Profile E-mail

Wow! That sounds really neat. I don't know if this is the tone you are going for, but it has a much darker feel to it from that brief blurb than Lady Blackbird. To me, the latter has a kind of chaotic joy to it, of sort of sticking it to the man with gumption. This seems like it could get a bit more grittier.

Are you pre-generating the characters with Keys and Secrets and all that?

Yeah, James Sturm is a great talent. His work has gotten a bit somber for me, but The Cereal Killings is one of my favourite comics of the black and white explosion back in the day.

Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:30 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

walkerp wrote:
Wow! That sounds really neat. I don't know if this is the tone you are going for, but it has a much darker feel to it from that brief blurb than Lady Blackbird. To me, the latter has a kind of chaotic joy to it, of sort of sticking it to the man with gumption. This seems like it could get a bit more grittier.

Thanks, walkerp, glad it sounds cool. Now to match the game to the pitch...
As for tone, I can see your point about it being dark and gritty, but I'm pushing for the underdog story, so it has to start out somewhat dark.

Quote:
Are you pre-generating the characters with Keys and Secrets and all that?

Yes, uniquely named but familiar Keys and Secrets, something that it is a fine art I'm still working on capturing. With the two currently finished pregen PCs, I've pointed them at each other, but they aren't at each other's throats, more in a supportive vein. There are a couple more pregens who are much darker (a gambler and a drunk) who should balance things out a bit.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:06 am
Profile E-mail

Note, I'm not saying that the darker, grittier tone is a bad thing. Just that I was a bit surprised to see it as I didn't associate it with Lady Blackbird. I think it could totally work and be quite good. All a matter of the group's taste, as always.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:20 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Good luck to you, man. :D

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next