View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Hey Aos, where's my post... 

Post Hey Aos, where's my post...
...ya know, the followup to this one.

Since I've ripped off tons of stuff for Infidelus, I expect you to deliver.

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:12 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Hey Aos, where's my post...
Fair question.
I'm wrestling with it.
Maybe you all can help.

I was originally intending to do a table for each sort of damage; then I changed my mind and decided to do a table that covered all the different types of damage, and then I thought about just doing one simple table that would be relatively flavor free, but allow/require the MM to fill in the flavor. for example:

The table says: Major head wound, character dead unless wearing helmet, if wearing helmet: Save or die. +2 to save for blunt/slash/impale weapons. No modifier for firearms. -2 to save for energy weapons. If save is made character is unconscious for 1d100 rounds, and will require 1d6+5 weeks to heal.

The character fails his save: The DM/GM/REF/MM, "Gilgaron the Smelly takes a club to the side of his head; there is a sickening crunch and he drops to his knees, hemorrhaging blood from his eyes, ears, nose and mouth. Gasping once, he dies." or something similar.

Does that approach work for you?
Is it too simple/complex/harsh?

Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:29 pm
Profile E-mail

I went through the same issue, actually. If you look at the last version of Infidelus, you'll see a table that stretches the entire page. We played for a while, and it became clear that the table was not enough- because there would be these odd instances - how do you break a bone in certain situation? Shouldn't it be a different kind of damage?

When I started working on it, it quickly veered from what I wanted to be the case throughout - simplicity.

Play also sparked a long discussion about chances of getting killed, the prevalence of death, etc.

So just this week I made this table. the percentages could easily be messed with to adjust to the group's preferences. It keeps things simple by not assuming the nature of the injury, only the severity and its effects along with providing some examples of what kinds of injuries would fit in the various severity categories.
Attachment:
injury_table_exploration_20100827.JPG
injury_table_exploration_20100827.JPG [ 139.58 KiB | Viewed 5172 times ]

ETA: As you can see by some of the notes, it's a work in progress. Also, it should be noted it's currently a 3d6 roll.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:44 pm
Profile E-mail

I think that is a great table, very much in the spirit of what i am thinking of. I like the multiples option. I think that the only thing I'd do differently, is have more entries so that I could break down the location of the hit into things like torso/arms/legs/head.
I don't think you need to steal from me; fly be free!

Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:59 pm
Profile E-mail

Yeah, you could add a generic table for hit location. One of the players in my recently former group gave me a d12 that has locations so I could use that...

What I was curious about is if you see the table (say, like this example) changing much for missile weapons...

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:11 pm
Profile E-mail

The table could have sub tables for descriptors by damage type, ei: one for blunt, slashing, piercing etc....

3= Head shot Blunt Slash Pierce
The explosive force of The Blade slashes The tip of the blade/arrowhead
Blunt trauma turns the Across your opponents enters the ocular cavity where
Skull into a pulpy mess throat opening his his/her eye once was piercing through
causing instant death. Jugular causing blood to the brain causing instant death.
to fountain across the
room. This brings death
within 2 rounds.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:21 pm
Profile E-mail

Ulthar wrote:
The table could have sub tables for descriptors by damage type, ei: one for blunt, slashing, piercing etc....

3= Head shot Blunt Slash Pierce
The explosive force of The Blade slashes The tip of the blade/arrowhead
Blunt trauma turns the Across your opponents enters the ocular cavity where
Skull into a pulpy mess throat opening his his/her eye once was piercing through
causing instant death. Jugular causing blood to the brain causing instant death.
to fountain across the
room. This brings death
within 2 rounds.

The spacing didnt quite take, it was supposed to look like a table not a moronic paragraph.

Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:23 pm
Profile E-mail

Yeah, you could do that. I just figured to keep it simple leave the specifics out and let the group decide on the effects in their own way. Some might have the Ref describe it; some might let the character decide; still others might create their own sub tables.

That's why I was including the kind of generic descriptions of how the cures work. It's just about how they effect things in game terms - leave it to the group on how to implement the specifics.

Sometimes I have to remind myself of that. It's difficult to do because my mind always wants to chase the specifics. Like I said about Aos' thoughts; mine went down the same path of different kinds of injuries to the point I was looking things up and such. And then I realized I was walking right into a trap...
Attachment:
3895956607_2009360931.jpg
3895956607_2009360931.jpg [ 61.08 KiB | Viewed 5142 times ]

Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:59 pm
Profile E-mail

Here it is.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:54 pm
Profile E-mail

Thanks! Looks great for Metal earth; harsh as all get out - fabulous.

It's interesting to me on a meta level because I look at the differences between this and what I posted and a few of the other versions/variations from which we both borrowed - and I think "Wow, you could really change the way a game feels simply by the way you build this table."

I'm thinking that an abstraction of this approach, coupled with examples of how to adjust a specific table to get the kind of action/lethality/etc. you desire would be pretty cool.

Want to play in a hard core death is ever present game? Use this table when X (being the way you define having to use the table - in your case you have 3 cases) occurs. Want to play without death and make it more about injuries and how they impact the character? Use this table when X occurs.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:58 am
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next