View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
It's On! Game Chef 2010 

Post It's On! Game Chef 2010
Game Chef 2010 has begun. I'm quite excited about the competition this year, it is looking to be quite fun. If I come up with enough to post, I will be putting up my entry here. One aspect of this year's competition is getting people to actually play your game.

2010 Contest Rules
The Basics
Design and submit a playable draft of a roleplaying game between Sept 11th-19th, preferably inspired by the theme and ingredients listed below.

2010 Theme
Game Chef 2010 is officially known as Game Chef: Sojourner, and the theme is Journey. As always, you are free to interpret that however you like.

2010 Ingredients
In addition to the overall theme, pick 3 of these 4 ingredients to design your game around.

• City
• Desert
• Edge
• Skin

The full contest details are here:
http://gamechef.wordpress.com/2010-contest-rules/

"Thunk weeeooo KABLAM!" - Thalaba
@orklord you're the octopus of podcasting - boulet

Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:20 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: It's On! Game Chef 2010
I have neither the chops, nor the time nor the inclination to design my own game, but those elements are very evocative, indeed. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

(p.s. great job on the latest Voice of the Revolution, I feel like your presence has really revived that podcast.)

Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:02 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: It's On! Game Chef 2010
I am leaning towards a game I'm calling Mirage right now. Its about a group of people traveling across a vast desert to get back to their homes in the city. The gameplay is centered around each character reaching a level of exhaustion that puts them on the edge of sanity, seeing a mirage that puts them in conflict against one of their own failings and then fighting to overcome that failing to turn it into a strength, thereby giving them more resolve to continue the trek home.

Unrelated to Mirage, I'm interested in a flow chart scene starter idea where you have to incorporate elements or exact phrases from a box in a flow chart. Once that scene is resolved, you have a few paths out of that box to new boxes to start the next scene. In a way, it gives structure to the story arc, but it also could have a neat little mini-game feel if there is a mechanic for who chooses the next box (which I'm also thinking about). Of course, I don't see it working in Mirage, because... that's how my brain works... at cross purposes with itself.

As for the comment on the Voice, that makes me feel super excited, dude. Thank you so much! I often worry that my lack of review chops weakens the show. Paul Tevis was such a strong game reviewer and my slant is very "everyman". I want to do a by the numbers review and talk intelligently about the design, but I swear it just doesn't come out of my mouth that way! :) If nothing else, I will bring the passion and joy for new games.

"Thunk weeeooo KABLAM!" - Thalaba
@orklord you're the octopus of podcasting - boulet

Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:33 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]