View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Skillet Points 

Post Re: Skillet Points
Jim Skach wrote:

If the PCs had succeeded on the skill challenge, I might have still used the exact same tomb encounter, but instead of falling into it- they could have found the area, and perhaps avoided it, or stealthed into the area, or approached the ghost more as an NPC than a villain.
This sounds like a...more interesting...use of the structure. I suspect more than a couple of old school folks might see it as being familiar or renaming what they did for years. But sometimes it can be beneficial for others to have it laid out in a system.

But I don't recall it being described this way. Was this an example I missed somewhere along the way? And I'd be willing to bet there are other interesting ways to use the abstracted structure even in other editions/games.

Jim, I'm probably older school than about 80% of the self-identified. I just don't focus on it much.

I used the exact same system in AD&D. Yes that is a (somewhat) old TSR mailing list link. (Curse of having a long memory that I could even find it.)

Chariot Race through Downtown Sigil

"..the full course is 300 meters long. At every 100 meter point there will
be a huge obstacle to overcome- like a fruitcart ( ah, the classic fruit
cart..) getting pushed into the way, or a big crowd of people walking out
right in front of the chariots or a procession of Dabus workers or..I dunno-
a puppy or something wanders into the road. Something. At these points the
Abishai and the player will BOTH have to make proficiency rolls to get
around the obstacle- or crash through it- (which will ruin the rickety
players chariot, but only slow the Hellchariot down for one round)." <--- classic amass successes before failures mechanic

"...If the player loses hopefully the other players have enough sense to get the
horsetrader and his stock out and away before he turns his chariot around.
If the players win, they get an Abishai enemy for life!" <--- my early fix of the "consequence for failures and success"

So yes, Skill challenges are old.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:01 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2