View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
What the hell is a Scinchilla? 

Post What the hell is a Scinchilla?
Friday, I picked up my daughter from her friends house and she and I went out to grab dinner for the family. On the way, she started to tell me about some game she and her friends were playing earlier in the day at school. She was one of the girls pets, but she was disappointed because as a puppy she was not getting much attention from others (don't ask me to explain the game). And then she uttered these words: "So I played a fat, color-changing chinchilla that hides in another animals mouth."

I smiled and shook my head. So she stopped and asked me what I was laughing about. I just said, "That's a great idea, that's all."

And then it started.

I said "You know, the chinchilla changes color because its fur is magic. In fact, they use it to make cloaks of invisibility."

She loved it. Then we just started bouncing ideas. What we ended with was a small color-changing chinchilla whose fur is magical and is used for invisibility spells. It lives around a larger creature for protection - a creature to be determined at a later date - hiding in its mouth for protection. It is a symbiotic relationship because when the chinchilla is in the creature's mouth, it helps heal it - making that creature harder to kill.

An old sage sends the characters to get the rare Scintchilla for its fur in order to make them an invisibility cloak - only to have the characters discover this healing power (that could be theirs). If they can defeat the Scintchilla's guardian creature, do they return the creature? Keep it?

This is an idea for a kids game at GenCon...possibly...

...all from an idea these 3rd grade girls had on a playground....

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Sat May 21, 2011 10:28 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]