View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Anthology Gaming 

Post Re: Anthology Gaming
Yeah...it was kinda weird. I'd have to dig what I have out of it, but I seem to recall that there was a single underlying system that was then used as a kind of...seed...for creating a kind of derivative(?) character. So the implementation in any given setting might vary a bit. But that is likely not as drastic as completely different systems.

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Mon May 09, 2011 7:43 pm
Profile E-mail

The Flux is pretty neat. It adds a meta-layer of mechanics over top of any existing game system to simulate the reality-hopping PCs. I'd have to try it out to see if it works at the table, but it is loose enough to be used for game hopping.

As for an update on my anthology game idea...

Short version: crash and burn

Longer version: We made PCs in the second system, but then had scheduling difficulties and then I lost everyone's character sheet, so we ended up moving to Apocalypse World. The one takeaway I got from it was that "re-genning" PCs from somewhat flat d6 rules to FATE was super fun and taught me a great deal about how much more interesting the players can make PCs in FATE vs. Star Wars.

"Thunk weeeooo KABLAM!" - Thalaba
@orklord you're the octopus of podcasting - boulet

Tue May 10, 2011 3:26 pm
Profile E-mail

I want to hear more about Apocalypse World!

Wed May 11, 2011 6:37 pm
Profile E-mail

Bummer about your game dude...

orklord wrote:
TThe one takeaway I got from it was that "re-genning" PCs from somewhat flat d6 rules to FATE was super fun and taught me a great deal about how much more interesting the players can make PCs in FATE vs. Star Wars.

Can you expand on this a bit?

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Wed May 11, 2011 6:41 pm
Profile E-mail

Jim Skach wrote:
Bummer about your game dude...

orklord wrote:
TThe one takeaway I got from it was that "re-genning" PCs from somewhat flat d6 rules to FATE was super fun and taught me a great deal about how much more interesting the players can make PCs in FATE vs. Star Wars.

Can you expand on this a bit?

I'd be happy to expand, Jim.

In the West End Games d6 ruleset, the party of PCs were the crew for a small tramp freighter. Each PC filled a role on the ship and had an archetype, but other than what flavor they brought to their character in play, there wasn't much that stood out about them. It was really tough for me to create stories centered around the PCs based on their character sheets, so I ended up running them through missions. It was fun, but the whole thing felt pretty neutral and a bit uninspired. I felt like I was running "my story" and they were playing along.

Then we get to FATE, where the players sat down and created character-based Aspects. They took on the Aspects for their species at first and then recreated the specialties they had in WEG d6. Then, the fun began.

* The player who had a Mon Calamari who had a 5D in Trade all of the sudden became this boisterous well-traveled merchant who went to engineering school but was really more athletic and a partier.
* The Twi'Lek who had 3D in Dance and 3D in Blasters became this ex-slave runaway who murdered her former owners and made money as a dancer before hooking up with the crew.
* The scruffy human pilot from Coruscant became this cocky kid who was in over his head and the brother of a Coruscant mafia bosslady.

It was disappointing that we never got to play these new characters because all of the sudden, they were inspiring. They had these grabby things about them and what I envision as "handholds" for me to create stories based around who they were and what they liked and wanted. And it was all on the character sheet!

So that's what I learned from my experiment.

"Thunk weeeooo KABLAM!" - Thalaba
@orklord you're the octopus of podcasting - boulet

Thu May 12, 2011 10:15 am
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2