View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
[BotA] throw me some post-apocalyptic adventure seeds 

Post [BotA] throw me some post-apocalyptic adventure seeds
I'm starting the first play session of my Barbarians of the Aftermath campaign this Friday. The session 0 was a bit of inspiration (I made an apocalyptic slideshow), apocalypse generation and character generation.

The dice and some massaging told us the apocalypse was the result of a catastrophic climate shift. The campaign starts some 700 years after civilization was destroyed by insane global warming that caused the polar caps to melt and then to freeze again along the equator, turning the planet across its axis. The players live in a desertified region where the scramble for survival, water and fuel is on.

The party starts in the village of Chax. La Pile is a vast garbage dump and it is scavenged for artifacts and mined for compressed plastic which is converted to fuel. The miners and scavengers live in Ni, where they tend to go insane from the toxins. The raw plastic is converted in Ulik. Water bearers come from the north to supplement the collected melt from the nighttime snowstorms that rage through the region once every month or so. Prudence taxes the water-bearers and helps distribute their water to the other villages. The people of Moro-Geth are more resistant to the burning rays of the sun and can thus venture south to rummage through the vast field of vehicles of the ancients for parts, which they sell and repair.

One adventure seed is the water-bearers stop coming and the party has to go investigate. I'm open to any other ideas. The players want something gritty and harsh, but also a bit crazy.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:12 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: [BotA] throw me some post-apocalyptic adventure seeds
1. Ancient space capsule comes down on a parachute nearby- everyone sees the descent but no one knows exactly where it lands, except for that it's somewhere in a "bad" area. What does it contain? Is it valuable? The scramble is on!

2. Dinosaurs descended from some Jurassic Park type experiment begin to crowd into the area.

3. Combine the above two and work in some robots and talking apes.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:22 pm
Profile E-mail

What did those crazy scavengers of Moro-Geth find in the Mech Fields? Why is it causing them to mutate? Why do they want to bring it here?

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:31 pm
Profile E-mail

Monks guard an ancient nuclear site as some God-forsaken land/gate/underground network pilgrims should not be allowed to contemplate. This is the proof the Devil exists! Kneel before the Black Gates, and pray for your salvation! Somehow, the PCs must either sneak past them to reach it, or an accident occurs, with the monastery blowing up, and all sorts of stuff radiated for centuries pouring out of the zone to threaten the area...

Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:43 pm

There is a rumour that paradise exists on the other side of the pile. Sometimes someone is fool enough or desperate enough to make the trip. None have come back.

Life in Ni is precarious at best. Besides the illness that befalls many of its residents, there are beasts that live on the pile, hunting those that hunt the past. But where life is hard, those with a will to succeed will be pushed to even greater heights. These rubble rangers of reknown are the ones who will get the best loot, who know which areas to avoid, and are seemingly immune to the diseases of Ni. But lately the best of the best are disappearing. Have they crossed to Paradise, or is something more sinister going on?

A man in Prudence has recently been selling a serum which, he claims, will grant immunity to disease and mutation. But does it work? What are its side effects? And where does he get his secret ingredient? Everybody, from the plastic barons of Ulik to the Hargrove of Moro-Geth to the Scavengers Guild of Ni, wants to know.

For as long as men can remember, the odd Red-Skin has been spotted in the southern wastes. Over the last two years they've been seen in dangerous armed bands. The people of Moro-Geth have even been subject to the occasional raid. Two weeks ago three Men of Moro-Geth stumbled back out of the waste with a new tale. They were delirious from sunstroke and dehydration, so this story is doubtful, but it has the people of Moro-Geth on edge. These men reported seeing a large rust-storm moving through the waste, and on the fringes of the storm many Red-Skins walked, as if guiding the storm. Somewhere deeper in the storm a huge shadow moved, much larger than any animal. It was so large, the ground shook with its passing. The story is hardly credible, but some of the fearful have nevertheless begun moving north.

EDIT: I wonder how much our answers say about our play preferences.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:31 pm
Profile E-mail

This is all awesome and I'm pretty much going to use all of it and let the players sort it out.

I feel like you are all vibing with the kind of campaign I am trying to run, but also adding your own style to your suggestions. Great stuff!

Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:24 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Well, sure - the setting has good bones to start with, and that makes it easy.

Are you playing this in French? I'm impressed by your initiative.

Will you have time to post some session summaries? I'd like to know what happens with that space capsule!

Thalaba

Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:40 pm
Profile E-mail

I definitely will. We just played last night and the game went really well. The players were pretty cooperative with my plotlines and went directly for the fallen asteroid, the one I had done the most planning for. I think it went quite well. Everybody seemed to have a good time. I'm going to write up a more detailed summary when I get a bit more time.

And yes, this is the first time I've ever run a game in french. I've played with this group in french for years now and they know my garbled franglais (and are super supportive and have been strongly pushing me to run something for a while now). But I think the focus and prep actually pushed my french to a slightly higher level than usual. The vocab word of the game was "luir" which means "to glow".

Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:03 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

I'm too busy/lazy to do regular updates, but suffice it to say that the campaign has been going very well and seems to have morphed into a local sandbox affair, with the players choosing to follow the adventure seeds in their immediate region, driven mostly by the need to get water. So there has been some exploration but mostly going back and forth to a few major sites and exploiting them the best they can while dealing with competition from other tribes as well as beasties/environmental challenges.

The space capsule got taken apart and sold. They discovered that the metal blocked mental attacks and so fashioned helmets for each party member. Unfortunately, one of them got mutated after a bath in some radioactive water and rolled "head doubles in size" on the random mutation charts. He did get a big bonus in Mind, but his helmet doesn't fit him anymore!

Probably the most succesful element that I introduced is a vast line of ants that goes from their nest, across most of the western border of the party's explored region and ends in an enormous, nearly dead apple tree. The ants get food from the rotting fruit (and any other creatures that get too close to their line) and water from a pond deep under the roots in the tree. Each ant is about the size of a housecat and they aren't very fast and don't do much damage. But once they spot something organic, they will branch off a line and follow it until they can't follow it anymore. We have had all kinds of fun with these ants, first figuring out how to get over them (no problem if you have a fast vehicle; but not so easy when you don't) and then using them to attack an enemy camp. Just a great example of how a single, fairly obvious, idea can develop into a rich source of adventure, problem-solving and atmosphere with the interacton of GM and players.

Finally, I did finally get the time to output the inspirational powerpoint presentation I made for the session zero:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIG75EmGen4

(I recommend watching it fullscreen, with the headphones on.)

The french lines read:

Humanity

It's achievements

Its shames

It has lived for too long on borrowed time

A debt it can not possibly pay back

The question is not if society will collapse.

But when

and how

[lots of freaky images for potential apocalypses]

And what you are going to do...

AFTER

[lots of images of many potential "afters"]

After, a post-apocalyptic campaign

Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:29 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

I just wrapped up this mini-campaign on Friday and it really went quite well. I'd like to thank everyone for your input in the early stages as several of those seeds were planted in the campaign ground and bloomed to life.

I really felt weirdly blocked and lacking in imagination in the beginning. I was sort of scared that at my advanced age, my brain had hardened and I was not able to world-build like I used to as a young nerd at home alone with my graph paper and binders. But I see now that it was like anything else, I was simply out of shape. With each session, I got a little better at planning, a little better at coming up with open-ended ideas or incorporating existing input from the players into the campaign and building that up.

So at that beginning stage, your suggestions were very helpful. The monks, the space shuttle all ended up playing a significant role in the way the campaign unfolded. Thanks for planting the imagination-unblocking ideas!

Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:03 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next