View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Hacking Gamma World 

Post Hacking Gamma World
So, one of the things I've come to is that while I sometimes see the allure of the Powers system of 4e and its representation in Gamma World, I also get a glimpse of how it starts to channel decision-making - or at least it could.

Something's at the edge of my mind, and I' not sure what it is...

What would the 4e combat system look like regardless of powers. Let's leave characters and origins and powers and all that out of the mix for a moment - because in a way that's what GW does. It keeps all of the underpinnings of the resolution system of 4e d20 and then plants a new method of character creation and power structure on top.

So what happens in Gamma World if instead of the various origins, we look at randomly assigning mutations willy-nilly? You could use the Alpha mutations as a base to work from. Each character rolls a d4 and this is how many mutations they have. Then you could take those mutations and level them up. So perhaps one mutation starts out as a wave of radiation that bursts from the character when upset enough (similar to Storm's characters blinding light). At lower levels it is uncontrollable, so it's everyone in range, even allies. At second it goes to just enemies. At third it can be directed. All of these as encounter powers (or whatever equivalent you want). Then do the same but at will. And so on.

I'm making this up as a go - ideas, thoughts?

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:04 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Hacking Gamma World
If you take the power structure out, you're basically building a d20 game from there.

I say try it. You never know where that might lead you! ;)

Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:50 pm

Amazingly, they've kind of done that.

I mean, the powers are very...diminutive...compared to even Essentials. It's one power from each origin, and then a few more as you level (even those are not very..."power"ful).

and then you have this kind of wild card thing with the mutations. That's what got me to thinking about just using the mutations outright in place of the templated origins. With those as examples, you could easily fill in the blanks of the various advantages that go with each origin and how you might apply those to a custom built character...

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:01 pm
Profile E-mail

I can't see why it wouldn't work. Sure, it might need some fine tuning, an eye towards not wiping out the whole party with some monsters that'd be just way too tough for them or vice versa, but in the end, yeah. I can't see it not working with the right mind frame (i.e. not obsess over rules balance).

Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:39 pm

I'll have to weigh in once I pick up GW. It's not on the horizon quite yet, and I'm trying to limit my gaming purchases to things that I'm planning on definitely using rather than "I can see using this..."

Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:24 am
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]