View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
[Hearts & Souls ] Second Edition is coming! 

Post [Hearts & Souls ] Second Edition is coming!
For those of you interested I'm working on the second edition of my little superhero game. Anyone who might be willing to help provide feedback, and help create clarity and conciseness is welcome to join the mailing list and toss their hat in the help ring.

Mailing list here: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/HSSHRPG/

Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:45 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Post Re: [Hearts & Souls ] Second Edition is coming!
Yay! My favorite supers game is getting updated! Awesome! :D

-clash

I FLY BY NIGHT Blog: http://iflybynight.blogspot.com/

Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:47 am
Profile E-mail

Can you give me a little more information about Hearts and Souls? What is the system like? What is character creation like?

Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:02 am
Profile E-mail

Hearts & Souls system is a simple affair. Capabilities of the characters (attributes, powers, and gear) are rated on a scale and rank system that determine how many dice you roll, and what kind of dice you roll. The system splits ranks into Average, Exceptional, and Spectacular; While scales are Low (unranked), Human, Superhuman, Planetary, and Cosmic. The ranks and scale fit all rolls done in the game.

The dice rolled must meet or beat a given target number for a scale of difficulty. Higher scales can be rolled against but generate stress.

Stress is the primary currency of the game. It is generated for failed attempts to perform actions, for performing out of scale, and for having weaknesses or problems from a given task beyond the normal difficulty. Generate enough stress, and it becomes Fallout. Fallout represents things like wounds, exhaustion, mental hang ups, losing ones temper and so on.

For example. Silverlion has the strength of a lion which fits Average Superhuman Might, he's stronger than all normal humans but compared to other super strong heroes he's just well average. He is attempting to lift a large piece of rubble off of a trapped child after an earthquake. The rubble is massive concrete block and it too is trapped under other bits of rubble. The Editor decides this is indeed a superhuman task. He must roll his Average Superhuman might against a TN of 7. Now Average Superhuman Might gives him 1d8 to beat that target number. The players rolls and fails getting a 5, but he isn't done yet. He can do one of two things, monologue/banter, or take stress to reroll. In this instance he's not feeling too chipper, and just takes the stress. His player rolls again and gets an 8. Successfully hefting the block off of the child.

Monologues and Banter are an option that lets you re-roll without stress. Banter works best when you have an opponent to mock. If Silverlion hadn't wanted to take stress in our previous example he could have used a Monologue. Monologues tie to another game mechanic. The hero's Drive. Drive is a shorthand descriptor that tells us exactly why a hero is a hero, why they choose to do the things they do. In this case Silverlion's drive is "Guardian" he protects people. So in character the player says "I cannot fail a wee bairn, I must rescue her from harm, it is what I'm meant to do!" Saying this (or thinking this in character, still the players must share it aloud.) Lets him get a free reroll to pick up the block. That is how Monologues and Drive work together.

Now character generations in 1E was pretty much: Discuss it with the Editor, and fit it to the games pitch; and work together to stat them up for the game you will be playing." Meaning there were no hard rules as to what is acceptable for any given Editors game. If they're alright with demi gods fighting gangs on the street, then that's alright.

Second edition still keeps the discussion method as default, but will offer an archetype system. (Pick an archetype, choose some tweaks, go with it." and a random roll system. The random roll system is what I'm working on now and I'm a bit stuck. I'm wanting something more elegant than the standard roll powers/roll stats etc.

Which is one reason for the mailing list is to get feedback on the changes from 1E and test new system elements.

Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:02 pm
Profile E-mail

Thank you for the information. I will have to check it out when its published.

And of course if you would like me to review it on my blog, I can do that too.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:41 am
Profile E-mail

Thanks, I'll see about sending you a copy when its done.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:44 pm
Profile E-mail

Silverlion wrote:
Thanks, I'll see about sending you a copy when its done.

Cool. Hopefully by then I will knock out a few reviews and clear my queue out. I am going to be working on reviews this weekend to get caught up

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:14 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]