View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Modern Day Mafia Game 

Post Modern Day Mafia Game
I am putting together a Modern Day Mafia game, using a custom system for the game. The game will be able to emulate The Sopranos and the like.

I am curious what things you would look for in a mafia rpg? What would the game need to make you want to play it?

Fri May 04, 2012 4:36 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Modern Day Mafia Game
Bump: No ideas?

Sun May 13, 2012 5:14 pm
Profile E-mail

Sorry, missed this some how! At any rate here's the things I'd look for as a player:

• An urban setting. Something fun like Chicago, or NYC. But maybe some place like Miami or a fun International setting.
  • Competition-both internal and external. Mobsters are always vying for the top spot, with each other and with rival organizations like the Triads or Yakuza.
  • Guns. I mean everyone likes them right?
  • Babes. Ditto, right?
  • Cars. What's the point of being a mobster if you can't live large right?

Hope that gets you started!

Sun May 13, 2012 5:31 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

SeriousPaul wrote:
Sorry, missed this some how! At any rate here's the things I'd look for as a player:

• An urban setting. Something fun like Chicago, or NYC. But maybe some place like Miami or a fun International setting.
  • Competition-both internal and external. Mobsters are always vying for the top spot, with each other and with rival organizations like the Triads or Yakuza.
  • Guns. I mean everyone likes them right?
  • Babes. Ditto, right?
  • Cars. What's the point of being a mobster if you can't live large right?

Hope that gets you started!

There are some really good suggestions. I was planning to make the game pretty open. Probably have it where the main book was the traditional mob and then maybe source books for other mobs. Or just put it all in one book.

Competition, is important and most of those guys (if not all of them) would kill their own friends for the better spot.

It gives me something to work with

Thank you

Mon May 14, 2012 6:37 am
Profile E-mail

It would be useful to have guidelines for how Mafia families are structured. Perhaps a flowchart for creating one's own fictional family. Starting from the boss on down. I think it would also be cool to have some way to track friendships, rivalries, and a build up of "animosities" between the PCs and the rest of the family. Perhaps some kind of relationship matrix that shows the GM how the rest of the family views a particular PC.

Of course the actions and inactions of the PCs could affect how well they get along with the rest of the family. This could help the GM determine things like who gets made, who gets promoted to "captain" or to other positions in the family heirarchy. It could also lead to a PC getting some new cement shoes or taking a long one-way trip out into the desert. :twisted:

Mon May 14, 2012 4:08 pm
Profile E-mail

The structure I have:

American Mafia (La Cosa Nostra) Structure
Boss – The head of the family, usually reigning as a dictator, sometimes called the don or “godfather”. The Boss receives a cut of every operation taken on by every member of his family. Depending on the Family, the Boss may be chosen by a vote from the Caporegimes of the family. In the event of a tie, the Underboss must vote. In the past, all the members of a Family voted on the Boss, but by the late 1950s, any gathering such as that attracted too much attention.

Underboss – The Underboss, usually appointed by the Boss, is the second in command of the family. The Underboss is in charge of all of the Capos, who is controlled by the Boss. The Underboss is usually first in line to become Acting Boss if the Boss is imprisoned or dies.

Consigliere – Consigliere is an advisor to the family. They are often low profile gangsters that can be trusted. They are used as a mediator of disputes or representatives or aids in meetings with other Families. They often keep the Family looking as legitimate as possible, and are, themselves, legitimate apart from some minor gambling or loan sharking. Often Consiglieres are lawyers or stock brokers, are trusted and have a close friendship or relationship with the Don. They usually do not have crew of their own, but still wield great power in the Family. They are also often the liaison between the Don and important ‘bought’ figures, such as politicians or Judges.

Caporegime (or Capo)- A Capo (sometimes called a Captain) is in charge of a crew. There are usually four to six crews in each family, possibly even seven to nine crews, each one consisting of up to ten Soldiers. Capos run their own small family, but must follow the limitations and guidelines created by the Boss, as well as pay him his cut of their profits. Capos are nominated by the Underboss, but typically chosen by the Boss himself.

Soldier – Soldiers are members of the family, and can only be of Italian background. Soldiers start as Associates that have proven themselves. When the books are open, meaning that there is an open spot in the family, a Capo (or several Capos) may recommend an up-and-coming Associate to be a new member. In the case that there is only one slot and multiple recommendations, the Boss will decide. The new member usually becomes part of the Capo’s crew that recommended him.

Associate - An Associate is not a member of the mob, and an Associate’s role is more similar to that of an errand boy. They are usually a go-between or sometimes deal in drugs to keep the heat off the actual members. In other cases, an associate might be a corrupt labor union delegate or businessman.[19] Non-Italians will never go any further than this.

Most recently there have been two new positions in the family leadership, the family messenger and Street Boss. These positions were created by former Genovese leader Vincent Gigante.

Mon May 14, 2012 8:26 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]