View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
I thought I'd share my new map(s) 

Post I thought I'd share my new map(s)
Here is the first, the others will be along later:

Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:00 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: I thought I'd share my new map(s)
Very nice map!

Is this for a project or did you just create it to create it? Also, what software did you use to create the map.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:13 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Sweet, Tim! Gorgeous map!

-clash

I FLY BY NIGHT Blog: http://iflybynight.blogspot.com/

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:13 am
Profile E-mail

It started out as a map to make a map, but I tend to find the more work I put into something the better a home I want to find for it. If that makes any sense at all.

I'm still trying to fully decide if it will go into my D&D Homage, or if I'll find a different home of some kind for it. Right now, I know its the continent of Alath on the world of Vendaval.

I know the ages it has gone through and the nature of its gods, great empires, and races. I just don't know if I can squeeze that into a D&D homage or rather it should be its own entirely new thing.

As for programs. I generated the continent coastlines here: http://donjon.bin.sh/world/

I cut off bits to make it a continent that fit my personal designs. I then inked the coastlines in photoshop, and followed a tutorial from the Cartographers Guild (albeit it isn't finished yet.)

The tutorial was here:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/attac ... 1245557518

Still trying to finish up, when I'm energized. I've got more continents to do in the Northern Hemisphere (Reorndil and Vendh) , then the south, then the poles.

Last edited by Silverlion on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:16 pm
Profile E-mail

Silverlion wrote:
It started out as a map to make a map, but I tend to find the more work I put into something the better a home I want to find for it. If that makes any sense at all.

I'm still trying to fully decide if it will go into my D&D Homage, or if I'll find a different home of some kind for it. Right now, I know its the continent of Alath on the world of Vendaval.

I know the ages it has gone through and the nature of its gods, great empires, and races. I just don't know if I can squeeze that into a D&D homage or rather it should be its own entirely new thing.

It looks great. Maybe if I need a map for a fantasy game (and I do run them from time to time) I might have to commission you to make me a map :)

How long did it take you to make the map? And did you use any specific software to create it?

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:29 pm
Profile E-mail

Photoshop, on top of the stuff above. Using filters, layers, and the like.

Its taken a long time, I'd say going on 20 hours of work for the not quite finished continent above. I'm sure with practice that will improve. If you want FANTASTIC maps, it never hurts to check out the Cartographer's Guilds Website and throw work at those people. I'm just a beginner at all this mapping (besides my old school hand drawn maps..:D)

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:41 pm
Profile E-mail

Silverlion wrote:
Photoshop, on top of the stuff above. Using filters, layers, and the like.

I can do a few things in Photoshop but I am far from being a pro

Silverlion wrote:
Its taken a long time, I'd say going on 20 hours of work for the not quite finished continent above. I'm sure with practice that will improve. If you want FANTASTIC maps, it never hurts to check out the Cartographer's Guilds Website and throw work at those people. I'm just a beginner at all this mapping (besides my old school hand drawn maps..:D)

I will check out that website and see what is up. Thanks for the advice and again, the map is beautiful.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:14 am
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]