View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
[Barbarians of Lemuria] customizing traits & flaws 

Post [Barbarians of Lemuria] customizing traits & flaws
Hey Simon W!

Now that you're here, I wonder if you could give me some advice. A friend and I are attempting to write a heroic beginnings document for Hyboria. So we are going through each nation, writing a brief description and picking traits and flaws.

I'm on Brythunia and as they are plainsmen and famed for their calvalry, I'd like to give them a Horsemanship trait. My first thought was they get the extra die for doing any activity on horseback. But shouldn't the difficulty of doing something on horseback cancel that out? And what about combat? Should they get the bonus die when fighting on a horse? Am I overthinking this?

Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:58 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: [Barbarians of Lemuria] customizing traits & flaws
Well, since Lemuria doesn't have horses, I managed to avoid this question in BoL! However, I guess you may be overthinking it - go with how the other traits are worked out.

Generally, I would assume a career like Mercanary or Soldier allows you to fight from horseback without any worries.

So, the trait "Born Horseman" or whatever it is called would give you a bonus die when doing any fighting whilst mounted.

One other possibility is to make a new career of "Horse Nomad", or something similar. The horse nomad could get his career rank on anything to do with horses - buying/selling, spotting a nag from a thoroughbred, training and breaking in. You could even give his career rank as an occasional bonus, per the rules, for trick riding in combat, like rolling under the horse (still mounted - i'm sure it is called something), or leaning out of the saddle (if they use saddles) or whatever other things a player might come up with to give his hero an edge over his opponent.

Does that help any?

Simon W

Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:49 am
Profile E-mail

Very helpful! Thanks much. I'll post a few of them as we get them done. I'd love to be able to use the summary text from this site:

http://hyboria.xoth.net/gazetteer/nations.htm

just because it's already done. I emailed the site owner but haven't heard back yet. I don't know if he wrote it himself or if he pulled it from Conan the RPG.

I like that Horse Nomad idea. It's not necessarily so martial, so gives a nice cultural background and there would be many opportunities in play for such a Trait.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:42 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

I'm pretty sure that site predates the Conan RPG. I've been going there on and off for quite some time.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:26 pm
Profile E-mail

It specifically references D20 on the About the site page, but I guess that is D20 pre-Conan the RPG? I'm curious as to where he got his text from. Do you think he wrote it all himself? It's quite good.

Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:44 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

I think it is pre-conan D20, I'm virtually certain of it, in fact. Now that I think of it, looking at that site got my interested in RPGs again after my long hiatus, and I got back in a few months before the Conan RPG was released. I think...
I think he may have written it- but it might alos come from someplace else like the the TSR game. I don't know.

Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:35 am
Profile E-mail

I'm working on the Picts right now and I want to give them a Trait that reflects their savagery. (they wear necklaces of human teeth, collect the skulls of their opponents, that kind of thing). How about?

Savagery: Use an extra die when fighting on your home turf or against civilized opponents.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:22 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

I'm trying to think of something different and interesting, but nothings coming at the moment.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:48 am
Profile E-mail

I would be interested in seeing what you come up with. My goal is to use Barbarians of Lemuria to play in Robert E. Howard's Pre-Cataclysmic period of Atlantis and Lemuria near the time of Kull. I would also love to have any info I could find for Conan's Hyborian Age as well so I can run games in both periods in the same campaign world. Any links/info on either would be HIGHLY appreciated.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:11 pm
Profile E-mail

Hey welcome daddystabz (your online handle really cracks me up, while also making me feel slightly nervous)!

Here is one of my favorite links for the Hyborian Age (which you may very well have):

http://hyboria.xoth.net/gazetteer/nations.htm

Me and a friend are also working on a list of BoL Traits and Flaws for each Hyborian Nation, but we're moving slowly. When it gets done, you'll hear about it for sure.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:58 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]