View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Into The Restiv Forest 

Post Into The Restiv Forest
July 15th, 2009: Into The Restiv Forest (WDF 002) – Part 1

For a background on the time leading up to character discussions, please see this thread.

Due to time constraints, I was only able to provide sparse information on each character sheet – abilities, race, gender, alignment, level, and hit points. So as the players arrived and chose a character from the pile in the middle of the table – a thief, magic-user, ranger, fighter, and cleric – there was still a bit of work to do. I gave them a lot of leeway in most areas – a couple of low power or one medium power magic item, either choice to be approved or disallowed (I didn’t have to disallow a thing); any equipments within reason (again, there were no issues). When the LW, who chose the cleric, asked what gods were available, I was flustered – it’s one of the areas I haven’t brought up to speed in Dunfalcon. So I told him to tell me about his god – name him, decide his sphere of influence, etc.

There were a few questions that had to be answered, as those of varying levels of unfamiliarity with AD&D came upon things like descending armor class, but overall it was a fairly quick process. I glanced over the character sheets and found nothing untoward. We finished our pizza, took a five minute break, and we were off…

First, I showed them a regional map to give them some sense of familiarity. Since they were using 4th-6th level characters, I felt they would have traveled enough to at least know this much. The regional map:

Attachment:
regional_map_10.JPG
regional_map_10.JPG [ 53.9 KiB | Viewed 4683 times ]

Then I read the intro:

“For years the evil forces of Aex have clashed with the Caniren. The People of the Wolf have always given as good as they’ve taken, keeping The Old One’s humanoids in check and halting progress beyond the Stillwater River. The conflict has died down to give both sides a chance to recover. But it seems Evil never sleeps.

For now comes word from the northern fringes of the Restiv. Sightings of Jeblin and Het Cheblin grow more frequent and rumors of more dangerous enemies abound. The People of the Wolf, once regular hunters of the Northern Restive, only come in force, if at all.

Something is afoot in the Restive Forest and neither the King of Angryondy nor the gentle folk who inhabit the woods are pleased. Orders have passed down through the chain of command until local authorities, or what there are of such, have been tasked with finding out if the threat is real.”

And so the adventurers find themselves in a small town in the north/west portion of the Restiv forest, gathered together by the local Constable. The worthy official explained that there have been several recent sightings of goblins and even hobgoblins in the woods near the Blackthorn River. Wild animals flee the area, and domesticated beasts have disappeared. Something is not right.

The adventurers had questions about exactly what has been seen and if the people experiencing these sightings of Cheblin and Het Cheblin were reliable. The Constable informed them that these were, in general, woodsman who can tell the difference between a goblin and a bear. The adventurers requested a map, at which point the constable drew a rough map of Timmormore and it’s proximity to the Blackthorn and Stillwater rivers. He showed it to the group and indicated, with nothing more than a hand wave, the direction of the sightings.

As is often the nature of these things, the talk turned to remuneration. The constable merely spread his hands, “As you were each sent here by your own people to investigate, I am not at liberty to promise anything in the way of compensation.” At this point I explained that each had, in fact, been chosen for their local…notoriety and sent as a representative to assist in the investigation: Short Shanks, the Halfling with certain…skills, sent from Windshore Downs at the behest of the Sheriff there; George the Oblivious, the Half-Elf Ranger from the Southern Restiv and Jerriloth Boughshadow, the Elven Magic-User from the western Restiv, both sent by their respective town elders; Baltus Tibble, a sword-slinger of some repute, sent by an Angryondy noble with holdings near the Restiv; and Rhys David, cleric of the mighty War God Zorcar, sent by his temple to aid the effort in whatever way possible. “Each of you will have to discuss the terms of your employment with those who sent you,” the Constable of Timmormore continued. “We are not a rich town, but we will help in whatever way we can. And you are certainly free to keep whatever of interest you might find in the course of our endeavors.”

The adventurers asked about horses, but were offered pack animals as Timmormore is not a large town and has only a few horses that can’t be spared. With little more than a handshake, a hearty “Good Luck”, and several odd stares from locals as they left, the band of adventurers headed east-southeast out of town on the one major ‘road’ around.

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:04 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Into The Restiv Forest
So how far did this go?
Are you still taking care of Wednesdays while Marks in school?
Inquiring minds want to know. :D

Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:42 am
Profile E-mail

Oh wow...forgot I even posted this. Too many irons in the fire..

Yeah, well, some of the group made it back to town after a devastating trip (for both sides) into the fortress - kinda. Others were not so fortunate.

Mark was actually able to play for a couple of sessions, and Dave W is back. However, we lost Ari to Southern Illinois University at the last minute.

We took a break last week to do Bill's Squirrel Dice (jesus - I still owe him a writeup!) but we should be back at it this week.

Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:51 am
Profile E-mail

How goes the new gig? How long til we get you back? Or am I going to have to start up another game group out here in the hinter lands?

Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:55 am
Profile E-mail

It's rocking my world!
It only took a day to get back into the flow and my schedule rocks pretty hard!
I get every Saturday off and alternating fridays and Sundays, so every other week I get a long weekend.
Unfortunatley that means no weekday gaming as I don't get out until 7pm at night, but I am more than open to weekend play.
Let me know if you want to get together for some weekend gaming here in the far North, and look for me at the next game day. Now that I have weekends I intend to attend, in fact I may just pull out the GM's hat and run one for a change.

Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:18 am
Profile E-mail

I'm having a blast playing 1e again. Again, this is really just a confirmation of my quickly growing hypothesis that with the right DM, any game can be fun, so it might be more of a testament to Jim's DMing than the actual game. There are portions of the rulebooks that make my head hurt reading them. I'd kill a man for a legal copy of 1e PDFs just so I could search for text in them instead of trying to flip through pages in the book to find stuff.

The thing I noticed most quickly on my return to the game was how quickly I could die. I'm the magic-user, and I have ten hit points. Way more than I should have, statistically speaking, because I have a Con of 6, I believe, but the DM let the error on the character sheet fly so I at least have a chance to survive one hit most times.

The second most glaring thing I noticed, after coming from 3e/4e (though I initially learned playing 1e, 15 or so years ago) , was how much I depended on my limited number of spells to do *anything* in combat. Once they're gone, I'm mostly useless. Someone told me that I should make my one weapon proficiency darts. I don't know who said this, but I swear at them every time I play, because the things are expensive and hard to find in game. A sling? I could refill that for free in a pinch (with a penalty to hit perhaps, but at least I'd have ammo).

Spellcasting has a nice feel in this edition though--I like that spells can be spoiled, mid-cast, though I have a hard time adjusting to announcing actions before initiative is rolled. A quick round-the-table 'what're you doing this round' before initiative rolls could help that.

I'll raise the ire of folks that despise third edition, but I'd love to be able, with some training, to have a chance to resist spell interruptions a la a concentration check. Hell, it could make combat more interesting if instead of completely canceling a spell, it just made the spell go off in a random, DM-determined fashion. "Hey, remember when that fireball was going to go off over there? Yeah, it's going off in your face now." :mrgreen:

Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:40 am
Profile E-mail

Trev - you damn me, sir, with faint praise! First, you love 1e and think it might be the DM (me!), and then bring up issues with my DMing! :lol:

In all seriousness, I do forget to ask around before rounds to see if spells will be cast. I hate that it's so hit or miss. And the error in the character sheet I swear was from Rogue's Gallery, which is from whence I created the pre-gen's. Must have misread a line - not to mention forgetting that NPC's could be essentially illegal characters.

As for spells, one of my favorite things was when you used the Unseen Servant to raise the keys up through the slot in the door. I mean, sure, the door wasn't locked and you guys never checked it...but hey, if you needed the keys you could have used them thanks to you!

I like your idea of spells not being spoiled. Perhaps a roll or something as I wouldn't leave it totally to DM's fiat. More of a random thing maybe depending on the type of spell. And I could see adding some things not so much to avoid it, but perhaps to allow for high level magic users to cast lower level spells more quickly.

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:39 pm
Profile E-mail

So our heroes are backed into a "corner" of sorts. Azakhar, the Dwarven warrior from the Mirjut Range, has in preparation removed a small cask of Elven brandy and created a sort of incendiary device by adding a piece of cloth. The adventurers stand at one end of a short hall, Bugbears approach around a corner, two by two, about 35 or 40 feet away. Azakhar is anxious - he knows he can't quite throw the cask that far, but he can't wait...so he rolls the cask down the hall.

His aim is true and the cask rolls into the first rank of two Bugbears. But the cask does not break open; it simply comes to rest at the feet of the attackers! One of the beasts bends down to retrieve the cask and show these stupid intruders how to do it. But Jerriloth, the Elven mage from the eastern Restiv, has used his Wand of Unseen Servants and directed his magical butler to raise the cask to the ceiling and drop it.

The cask, to the surprise of the Bugbears, begins to rise. The Bugbear grabs at it and wrestles it away from the unseen servant rather easily - just as the cloth fuse reaches the strong brew inside and the cask explodes.

I love D&D...

Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:44 am
Profile E-mail

Stealing that wand from Mark's one-time character may have been the best decision I've ever made. I'm glad he was wise enough to ask for it--it's an incredibly useful spell, now that I've found uses for it.

Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:14 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]