View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
[Veggie Patch] What's wrong with the rules? 

Post Re: [Veggie Patch] What's wrong with the rules?
Jason, I'm still listening to the actual play recording (just got the files yesterday), but I wanted to note one thing that the beginning reminded me of. I think that there is no box for Defense score on the character sheet. Probably a bit late in the game for those kinds of corrections, but I wanted to note it in case you ever decide to make an Advanced Veggie Patch or VP II.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:57 am
Profile E-mail WWW

How bizarre! I swear I had it on there in one version, but it looks like I managed to lose it along the way :) Thanks for noticing it.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:06 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Okay, I posted the actual play recording of the session over on the podcast page:

podcast/?p=119

Enjoy! I'm curious to hear what people think (or if anyone will actually make it all the way through to the end).

Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:08 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

Fantastic - I look forward to listening to it :)

Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:49 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Phew, I finally got myself organised enough to listen to the session. I have to say you guys were great! Your players sounded like they were having fun with it (even if they did run off in a totally unexpected direction), and I loved their antics in the session. But a huge kudos to you for being willing to run with them like you did - some GMs would have just shut them down.

A few comments I had based on some notes I jotted down while listening:

* I still can't believe Defense isn't on the character sheet (facepalm). I'll be fixing that shortly.
* I see my fears on how complex I made the compost rules are well founded, as that definitely caused confusion in the game. I'll try to make them clearer. I think a summary sheet at the back might help.
* I loved the poems that the player came up with on the spot!
* I had completely forgotten that what we call capsicums here get called bell peppers in most other places around the world!
* What do you mean you don't know what Oxalis is? What sort of gardener are you? :D (to be honest it might only be a problem in Australia - ah well!)

Finally, after listening to the session (and also your comments after the session), I agree 110% about combat being too slow. To be honest it didn't get a lot of playtesting (hangs head in shame), and it shows. I have a few ideas on some possible changes I could make (tricks are going to give a higher benefit for one thing, to make it worth doing them), but we'll see.

At the moment I'm thinking I'm going to release a version 1.1 of The Veggie Patch some time in the future - it will also give me a chance to have another editing pass over the text, clean up a few things in the layout, etc.

Thanks again for running your once-off walkerp - it was a blast hearing a group using a game I had created!

Edit to add: Assuming you don't mind, I'm going to link the page with the actual play session from the Polgarus Games site. Is that ok with you?

Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:24 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

More than ok! By all means, put the link up.

I am happy you took the time to listen to it. It is your game, but even then, it is not everybody that can listen through a 4-hour session of other people playing.

So when you talk about different colours of capsicum in Australia, do you say "pick me up some red capsicum" like that? I find it very strange.

Anyways, we had a blast and those guys are making a bit of noise about a sequel to the one-shot, where we really get into the power games in the patch. It's festering there in my mind. I'd really look forward to a revision in the ruleset and it would certainly spur me on to run the sequel. Though I can understand that it may not be on the top of your priority list. We'll get the world to realize that playing vegetables is awesome fun, yes we will!

Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:03 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

walkerp wrote:
So when you talk about different colours of capsicum in Australia, do you say "pick me up some red capsicum" like that? I find it very strange.

Yep, just like that. And while that sounds strange to you, "pick me up some red bell peppers" sounds equally strange to me :)

Next you'll tell me you have no idea what I'm talking about if I asked you to buy some sweet potato, fresh coriander and rocket ;)

walkerp wrote:
I'd really look forward to a revision in the ruleset and it would certainly spur me on to run the sequel. Though I can understand that it may not be on the top of your priority list.

A lack of focus is my major problem, which means it will probably constantly shift around on the priority list until it gets done (or I die of old age :) ) But hearing someone using the game has really encouraged me to re-look at it again - and a relaunch of a "revised" edition is never a bad thing for pushing a game!

Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:34 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

walkerp wrote:
More than ok! By all means, put the link up.

The link is now live on the site. It also encouraged me to fix the character sheet as well :)

Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:25 am
Profile E-mail WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2