View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Microlite Fantasy Heartbreaker 

Post Microlite Fantasy Heartbreaker
Here's the first document of a rewrite of the Microlite d20 rules. The idea is to do Iron Heroes (with, eventually, the Arcana Unearthed spell list) with Microlite d20. That means Armour as DR, humans as the only playable race, Reserve Points, only one type of caster, and drowning rules (I noticed there weren't any). I'm soliciting commentary and feedback before I submit it to the Microlite20 guys. I also rewrote the rules themselves to make them a little clearer to me personally (no offense to Mr. Stacey intended) but there's still a fair bit of his original material in there (I may eventually rewrite it entirely). I took out the monster rules and lists since they're available as a separate document.

So, give it a read through and please tell me what you think. :)

Edit: Deleted the attachment to avoid clogging the forums up.

Last edited by Pseudoephedrine on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:55 am
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Microlite Fantasy Heartbreaker
I rewrote all remaining Microlite20 content in the pdf for clarity and to avoid plagiarising Mr. Stacey. I've called this version Microlite Iron Heartbreakers 1.0. The version attached here is generally cleaned up, with some minor content changes.

Last edited by Pseudoephedrine on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:25 pm
Profile E-mail

Here's the spell list for Sorcerors. I ended up going with more SRD stuff than anything else since it turns out Unearthed Arcana's spell names aren't OGC and I thought it might be too much work to convert them over as a result.

Last edited by Pseudoephedrine on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:06 pm
Profile E-mail

It reminds me a lot of Melee / The Fantasy Trip. I like it! What about a "Micro Monster Manual"? Or does one already exist for Microlite d20?

I find amusing that the OGL statement at the end is almost as long as the rules themselves.

!i!

(P.S. The third post includes the basic rules a second time, not the spell list.)

Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:29 pm
Profile E-mail

Whoops, sorry about that! Glad you like it. This post should have the spell list attached. It's longer than the stock Microlite20 spell list because the stock list only has three or four spells for most levels. Mine has about 12/level (except for 8th and 9th level), most of them non-zap spells so that Sorcerors have lots of capabilities that ordinary people don't (I kept some good zaps for those who like them, admittedly).

I'm already working on Microlite Iron Heartbreakers 1.1 just to make sure the wording's perfect. I'm going to be teaching it to a bunch of near-newbies in a couple of months and I want to make sure it's as easy to learn as possible.

Last edited by Pseudoephedrine on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:41 am
Profile E-mail

Here's version 1.1 of both the game and the spell list. 1.1 mainly involves rewording for clarity, though there's less healing than in 1.0 in the spell list.

What I'm going to do is try and set up a couple of playtests with different groups before the end of the year to see how it all hangs together. I'd appreciate it if anyone who's giving it a try would let me know what did and didn't work well for them, what they were confused about, etc.

Thanks again!

Edit: Deleted the attachments to avoid clogging the forums up with my PDFs.

Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:26 pm
Profile E-mail

Sorry to bombard everyone with endless variants of the same basic document, but I don't have webhosting. Here's version 1.2. This is the version I'm going to playtest. I decided, based on thinking over something RandallS said on theRPGsite and some additional comments by a member of my group to scrap spellcasting entirely. I also tinkered with some of the class abilities and races so that there are a few more distinctions between them. I think this goes back a little closer to the original Iron Heroes / Swords and Sorcery feel while getting rid of what would otherwise be a huge subsystem used by only one or two PCs in any given group (Spellcasting). It also brings Microlite Iron Heartbreakers back to its original one-document goal, getting rid of the spell list entirely.

Attachments:
Microlite Iron Heartbreakers 1.2.pdf [125.08 KiB]
Downloaded 489 times

Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:35 am
Profile E-mail

I'm a little confused regarding skills. Without any specific definition of what the four skills do, I'm at a loss to figure out how they work.

Reading through the entire document, I can suss out what the Physical skill does, being key to combat, and largely the domain of the Bruiser. Similarly, Subterfuge and Communication are the domain of the Sneak in combat. However, there's no discussion of how Communication and Knowledge might be of similar benefit to the Tactician. I assume that they work much the same as skills do for the Sneak, but I'm not sure.

Also, are there hazards that test skills other than Physical?

Finally, I had my question earlier about the Microlite Monster Manual, and I see the brief rules for converting monster stats. I assume that the stats are intended to be converted from existing 3.x stats, no?

I think it may have been a wise choice to drop the Sorceror class, in much the same fashion that Melee and Wizard were originally separate games, each dealing with separate tactical and adventurous pursuits.

!i!

Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:32 am
Profile E-mail

Ian Absentia wrote:
I'm a little confused regarding skills. Without any specific definition of what the four skills do, I'm at a loss to figure out how they work.

Reading through the entire document, I can suss out what the Physical skill does, being key to combat, and largely the domain of the Bruiser. Similarly, Subterfuge and Communication are the domain of the Sneak in combat. However, there's no discussion of how Communication and Knowledge might be of similar benefit to the Tactician. I assume that they work much the same as skills do for the Sneak, but I'm not sure.

The skills are intentionally somewhat vague and broad in Microlite20, which is something I've kept so far. Do you think a brief explanation of each skill or an example for them might help? If so, I'd be happy to write them. As I see it, Physical is your athletics skill; Subterfuge is sneaking around, contorting yourself into tight places, and larcenous skills; Knowledge is a broad measure of what your character knows; Communication is for talking, whether lying, persuading, threatening etc.

The Tactician already has a really good combat ability - possibly one of the best in the game (He gets his extra attacks two to three levels earlier than other PCs because of it). Because of that, I was leery about letting Knowledge or Communication boost his combat abilities further. Right now the balancing factor with the Tactician's ability is that he doesn't have a way to deal extra damage beyond simply taking more attacks, so he'll have trouble fighting an opponent with high DR (just as the Bruiser doesn't have a way to get a to-hit bonus easily and so is weak against opponents with a high Defense; Sneaks have to maneuver their opponents into specific circumstances to get a to-hit and damage bonus).

I did consider giving him sort of "suss out" bonus where he could analyse his opponent's style and tactics. I couldn't really settle on a specific proposal that I liked. I'm open to suggestions though.

Quote:
Also, are there hazards that test skills other than Physical?

The other three skills are for keeping you out of hazards in the first place. ;)

To be honest, I can't think of a hazard of a similar sort that wouldn't use Physical. The other three are more useful in avoiding problems in the first place. Subterfuge would be used for disarming most traps, but I'm worried I would prejudice people into only making certain kinds of traps that it would

Quote:
Finally, I had my question earlier about the Microlite Monster Manual, and I see the brief rules for converting monster stats. I assume that the stats are intended to be converted from existing 3.x stats, no?

There is an existing Microlite20 Monster Manual written by someone else that MIH can be used with, but yes, you could convert 3.5 stats over. One minor but intentional friction between 3.5 and MIH is that 3.5 expresses everything in 5' squares which can be converted to feet, whereas MIH uses metres and doesn't make mention of squares. Personally, I'd just convert every 5' square to 2m, which lengthens powers slightly but keeps conversion easy.

Quote:
I think it may have been a wise choice to drop the Sorceror class, in much the same fashion that Melee and Wizard were originally separate games, each dealing with separate tactical and adventurous pursuits.

Thanks. Iron Heroes was originally intended to be a low magic game, and I wanted Iron Heartbreakers to follow that tradition but with fewer rules (feats etc.). I realised that I was deviating from it in precisely the way I wanted to avoid by including a separate magic-using class that needed its own special set of rules. I'm much happier with just the three classes as they are right now.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:46 am
Profile E-mail

Ah, I overlooked/underestimated the impact of the Tactician's multiple attacks, and I conflated his ability to read body language (i.e. bonuses for Subterfuge and Communication) with the Sneak. I might, however, like to see some sort of bonus for the Tactician's comprehension of the Knowledge skill, though not a direct bonus to combat; perhaps a bonus to encounter initiative (though that begins to muddle the simplicity of the Microlite design).

For a final format, I think a very brief (one or two sentence) description of each skill would be helpful, especially for the skills that help a character avoid hazard rolls.

!i!

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:00 am
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next