View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Echoes Setting Primer 

Echoes Setting Primer
So, I had an idea for a game called Echoes and have slowly been working on it. The Primer here is 2 pages and outlines the setting. I hand these out to early adopters and they play with the idea and often I get good feedback about things to add or they play it and we work out systemic support mechanisms.

Anyway, feel free to look it over and comment if interested.

The original thread on the HinterForums.

And another..with the cover...

Attachments:
Setting primer.pdf [100.88 KiB]
Downloaded 311 times

Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:30 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: Echoes Setting Primer
Okay, so you basically play people who can manipulate the Echo Effect (which is a sort of psi/magic/superpowers)? What they do with these powers depends on what faction they serve, correct?

The backstory sounds interesting, but I'm getting a bit hung up on the gameplay aspect. It sounds like some of it could get very pulpy what with collecting pieces of the reactor. I'm not sure what the other factions do, though. Fight Echo People?

I like the idea to be able to cross over into other dimensions, especially if you can affect something in your world by doing so. Kind of like King's Talisman and Dark Tower series. Not sure if you were going that way with it, but it might be an option to include.

I realize this was posted in September. Have you done anything more with it?

Pete

Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:29 am
Profile E-mail

petespahn wrote:
Okay, so you basically play people who can manipulate the Echo Effect (which is a sort of psi/magic/superpowers)?

Yes. They can also play the unenlightened. They can also "lose" the ability to manipulate the echo. Essentially, you are flirting with insanity and the more you used the echo effect the more it affects you mental stability. You are becoming more and more aware of the reality that you nor anything else actually exist.
petespahn wrote:
What they do with these powers depends on what faction they serve, correct?

Generally, what everyone is trying to do is "save the universe". Different groups have different theories on how to do that. Some believe it cannot be done and are trying to "jump ship" so to speak.
petespahn wrote:

The backstory sounds interesting, but I'm getting a bit hung up on the gameplay aspect. It sounds like some of it could get very pulpy what with collecting pieces of the reactor. I'm not sure what the other factions do, though. Fight Echo People?

Some prepare to invade adjacent existences. Some look to kill all Echo People. It could be pulpy but it could also be straight up horror...or even Sci-Fi. As with many of my efforts it does not esily slot into genre.
petespahn wrote:

I like the idea to be able to cross over into other dimensions, especially if you can affect something in your world by doing so. Kind of like King's Talisman and Dark Tower series. Not sure if you were going that way with it, but it might be an option to include.

Yeah, actually one faction does this very often and I hope to have an aspect of the setting (and to some extent the rules) that support this. One aspect is the idea of being able to go to other dimensions and slow their Ascension to Prime by killing off or discrediting philosophers and philosophies that preach this. Others would be to go to these dimensions so as to gain items or knowledge not available in our dimension as tools against the Echo People or to help find parts of the Reactor.
petespahn wrote:

I realize this was posted in September. Have you done anything more with it?

Pete

Not much. I have what I call a setting guide that a group is working with. This is a basic summary that a group plays with in order to give me feedback on the game concept and its viability. Mostly I have been focusing on Squirrel Dice, ASMBE and Chevalier.

Thanks!

Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:56 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Thengel wrote:
petespahn wrote:

Yeah, actually one faction does this very often and I hope to have an aspect of the setting (and to some extent the rules) that support this. One aspect is the idea of being able to go to other dimensions and slow their Ascension to Prime by killing off or discrediting philosophers and philosophies that preach this. Others would be to go to these dimensions so as to gain items or knowledge not available in our dimension as tools against the Echo People or to help find parts of the Reactor.

Cool! That's probably the faction I'd run with as a GM.

I hope you also have a faction that believes the fading of our dimension should be allowed to run its course and are trying to stop those who think otherwise. Sort of like Timelords/Dr. Who in reverse. Lots of potential for adventure there, especially if that faction was open to the PCs.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:38 pm
Profile E-mail

petespahn wrote:
Thengel wrote:
petespahn wrote:

Cool! That's probably the faction I'd run with as a GM.

I hope you also have a faction that believes the fading of our dimension should be allowed to run its course and are trying to stop those who think otherwise. Sort of like Timelords/Dr. Who in reverse. Lots of potential for adventure there, especially if that faction was open to the PCs.

I am actually thinking about calling these guys the Nihilists or the Nils or some such. Basically, they believe we blew it and should loose our place and just be allowed to fade.

So yeah, I think it has legs.

Thanks!

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:52 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]