View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Rethinking Dunfalcon 

Post Rethinking Dunfalcon
A couple of you might have seen some of the work I did to create a kind of Greyhawk with the serial numbers filed off. I went back to original maps generated by Fractal Terrains and I'm thinking of making it less like Greyhawk.

Here's the thinking...

When I began to build this, it was for two reasons. First, I thought people might want something like this to use for an organized play campaign - to provide a way to continue the then recently defunct LG using a free work. Second, I was thinking of it as a kind of homage. But here's the thing...

The first is not needed as far as a I know. I think there are plenty of people still playing in Greyhawk - it's just not going to be the worldwide thing it was; it's all small groups using a common backdrop. With the Internet, this can be expanded on a kind of ad hoc basis through sites like Canonfire!.

The second - and here's where it gets interesting to me - well, I think it might be more of an homage if I do my own. If I take a bunch of the information I know and love and churn it all up in a similar but not facsimile of the original it is a better representation of how we did things. Sure, we bought and used GH (I have a first edition folio that is falling apart from use) and read the Gord books and played in the adventures that were set in GH. But we always dreamed about our own worlds.

So, I think I'm starting over...kind of. Much of the names - people, countries, etc. - will be kept and adjusted to take into account the new maps and histories. But I'll be developing the map more organically; with less of an eye towards the source material. I'll be staying away from the path like Aos is taking with his very cool Metal Earth (he's got that covered nicely!), though some shrouded-in-pre-ancient-history-technology stuff may be in there somewhere. And I'll see if I can be creative at all - though that's always a challenge for me in this kind of project.

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:57 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Rethinking Dunfalcon
Maybe take those reading lists from the 1E DMG and similar, continue on the reading regimen you currently are tackling, and make up your homage to the same sources as the early campiagn settings and rules rather than to the resultant setting and rules.

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:53 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Post Re: Rethinking Dunfalcon
Yeah, that's the idea (kind of) - that it's not the result that's an homage, but the process. And your idea to keep reading those influences (which as you know from supplying my habit is in process) to stir the creative juices is a great point. In fact, perhaps doing that is what's making me reconsider this...

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:04 am
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]