View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Tell me the game that handles wounds/damage like... 

Post Tell me the game that handles wounds/damage like...
this:

HP are static. They represent physical damage.

Levels provide increased ability to avoid being hit.

Armor is DR.

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:15 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Tell me the game that handles wounds/damage like...
T20 Traveller (D20 variant by Quicklink interactive) hits that on 2 for 3.

They have dual HP system. 1st there is lifeblood. This is equal to Con and does not change with level. Then there is stamina rough equivalent to hit points in D&D. you go up 1die per level depending on class.

Life blood is lethal damage and Stamina is non lethal.

Armour makes you harder to hit and offers damage resistance.

If you are hit with a lethal attack you take both Lifeblood and Stamina in equal measure, unless you are wearing armor.

Example you are a 7th level character with 13 Lifeblood and 52 stamina.

If you are shot with a submachine gun you take 3D10 damage to both LB and Stamina.

If the roll is 9,3,5 you would take 17 points to both. -4lifeblood and 35 stamina renaming. You are unconscious & dieing and take -1 LB per round unless treated medically.

Armor changes things. If you are wearing a flak jacket, Armour Class 4 and armor resistance 4. you are harder to hit by 4 on d20 roll.

You take the rolled damage on stamina, in this case 17 points.

For life blood you subtract 1 die of damage per AR point until there is only 1 die reaming. You start with the lowest first, so lose the 3 and 5. You them subtract the remaining AR points from the last die. 9-2=7. so you take 7 lifeblood. You now have 6 lifeblood left and 35 stamina.

It may sound complicated but we got used to it in short order.

This system can get very deadly very quickly. A 20th level character without armor could be made quite nervous by a mook with handgun. Also, even a character in the best armor can be rendered unconscious by taking more stamina damage than he has points.

R

Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:41 pm
Profile E-mail

I just want to add that in our game we added a house rule of +1 LB point per level. We tended to like things a little more cinematic and that worked very well without making the game too over the top.

A house rule of +1 AC per level would be very easy to use as well. Giving the unarmored a slight advantage.

R

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:29 pm
Profile E-mail

Rover wrote:
I just want to add that in our game we added a house rule of +1 LB point per level. We tended to like things a little more cinematic and that worked very well without making the game too over the top.

A house rule of +1 AC per level would be very easy to use as well. Giving the unarmored a slight advantage.

R

Yup - this last bit is what I meant when I said that increasing level would make it harder to be hit. So for each level you get a +1. Or maybe differ it amongst classes if so inclined - make it kinda match the old differences in to-hit from 1e AD&D or the different BAB levels in 3e +.

And I like your idea of adjusting non-physical damage as desired for different feels...

Very nice Rover, thanks! Step 1 is a go.

Anyone else know of any games using all of these?

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:06 pm
Profile E-mail

I tried of different games but there was always one of the three conditions outlined that was missing (usually the level thing). There are plenty of games using some kind of static health/hit points thing though

To further complicate things I parted with most of my collection.

If you remember, I was working on an OGL-ish DnD until last year. I played around with static damage and I didn't like the various things I came up with and how they worked in playtest. It made the already fickle balance between higher level against lower level more problematic for us.

There's nothing really wrong with the alternative method. It just has to be carefully adjusted and it changes the flow from "step by step" damage to sudden, fatal blows. If your game is DnD-ish for instance, and if you have the usual distribution (better magic weapons and better magic armors and better everything as you gain levels) and you add that sort of system, that 9th level boss that the 5th level party ganged up on may be a much harder challenge.

(I have no idea if you're looking to tweak d20 or starting from scratch BTW, I am speculating)

Anyways, I say try it! But I find it requires a whole different balance and it is very demanding when the game/world contains vastly different power level. It could very well lead to higher levels being virtually immune from entire mobs (which can be cool, when you think about it. All depends on what you want)

My mod voice is red

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:18 pm
Profile E-mail

Virtually all BRP games work the way you're describing Jim, at least algorithmically. GURPS can, too, if you just disallow putting points into the HP-stat (that's either ST or HT depending on edition IIRC). Also Talislanta 4e and up.

Well, except for the fact that none of them use levels per se: defense is a skill and as such it improves independently of everything else.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:48 pm
Profile E-mail

I am not familier with BRP games and I've only played Gurps a half dozen times in 20 years, usually at a com.

can you point me to site that talks about BRP mechanics?

Thanks,
R

Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:22 am
Profile E-mail

Rover wrote:
I am not familier with BRP games and I've only played Gurps a half dozen times in 20 years, usually at a com.

can you point me to site that talks about BRP mechanics?

Not a discussion of BRP but there's always the BRP quickstart if you wanna look at it.

My mod voice is red

Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:42 am
Profile E-mail

You could also use OpenQuest: http://d101games.co.uk/books/openquest/

Also apparently available here.

OpenQuest is a clone of Chaosium's Runequest 2e, which is basically the progenitor of BRP. BRP simplifies a few things, but it retains the basic concept of having pretty much static HP, with various defense skills that increase with experience.

Harnmaster is another example (fundamentally similar to RQ/BRP) but it's more complicated and I don't think there's a free quickstart available.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:32 am
Profile E-mail

Jim Skach wrote:
this:

HP are static. They represent physical damage.

Levels provide increased ability to avoid being hit.

Armor is DR.

SPI"S Dragonquest did this.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:19 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next