View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Moderator Policy 

Post Re: Moderator Policy
Man, fuck policies. I think if anyone gets to the point where they are such a destructive force on the board, we'll know it and we can talk about it then. Otherwise, I'm totally against one-week bans, topic-bans, all that manipulative babyish shit. The two biggest generators of ban-worthy behaviour, an off-topic sub-forum and an overwhelming ideology, do not exist here and if we keep it that way, I don't predict there will be too many grey-area cases. People are going to be either completely insane or tolerable.

Sat May 16, 2009 12:50 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Ian Absentia wrote:
Monthly lottery. One member a month is banned arbitrarily. For added fun, keep the contest between yourselves so the rest of us can wonder if it's just a coincidence that the "winners" of the lottery just keep happening to be people you don't like much.

!i!

Well, Jim and I could take turns banning each other. That might work.

Sat May 16, 2009 1:04 am
Profile E-mail WWW

walkerp wrote:
Man, fuck policies. I think if anyone gets to the point where they are such a destructive force on the board, we'll know it and we can talk about it then. Otherwise, I'm totally against one-week bans, topic-bans, all that manipulative babyish shit. The two biggest generators of ban-worthy behaviour, an off-topic sub-forum and an overwhelming ideology, do not exist here and if we keep it that way, I don't predict there will be too many grey-area cases. People are going to be either completely insane or tolerable.

Well, yeah, but I thought it would be good to discuss now rather than in the midst of controversy.

Sat May 16, 2009 1:08 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Settembrini wrote:
I see the idea of free speech has an ill reputation with many posters in this thread.

I personally love free speech. I haven't seen any RPG discussion forum that doesn't hinder or discourage the discussion of certain topics in some way, however. This site may be the one exception, though I really haven't been around enough to make such a declaration with confidence (I saw certain screen names and immediately decided to cut down my time spent here). Free speech is a great ideal, but one that seems entirely unrealistic when it comes to highly polarized hobby communities.

Sat May 16, 2009 7:06 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Thengel wrote:
So, open can of worms. I know no one wants to think about it but it is topical to the thread.

Banning. I think we should have a very definite method for handling bannings.
1. Notify the person being banned via email.
2. open a thread in the Forum for discussing it.
3. Debate the issue.

That is quick and dirty. Thoughts?

I'm totally against #2 and #3. It has been my experience (on several forums) that when mods/admins open up proposed bans for public debate, you generally end up with hundreds of posts that amount to little more than screaming, mewling, or navel-gazing. None of which are attractive behaviors. I would instead propose:

1. Notify the person being banned by email.
2. Ban them.
3. Post a notice to other community members, as a service, and lock the thread.

Sat May 16, 2009 7:21 am
Profile E-mail WWW

Good replies everyone, and this is why I wanted to have this discussion. How we handle banning (yeah, I don't want to do it but you know it is going to happen) is something we should think about before we have to do it. Sorry Walker, but I really think it is something we should discuss.

That said, powerful argument for no discussion thread, just an announcement one. Look at the grief threads like that devolve to on RPG.Net and RPGsite. Not pretty. However, I do not think the admins here should be beyond reproach or question. Perhaps just the understanding that if you question a banning you open a thread in The Forum and not carry it over to other parts of the site?

And yeah, I am not laying down law, just asking everyone how they prefer to see it handled. Input is always good...oh, my a maxim. :shock: :D

Sat May 16, 2009 5:51 pm
Profile E-mail WWW

I am above reproach, Bill. How many times do we have to go over this?

Part of the problem for me is that they will all be different. So while I don't have any qualms with the existing steps, I could see having a few more in the front that determine if it's the kind of banning that requires the step you present. And then perhaps having different paths depending.

I'm more concerned about what criteria we use for which path. I mean, spammers go...where? Do we need to have discussions for them? I would hope not. But they would also need a process for showing they weren't really spam.

There could be some uncomfortable questions for sure.

As can be seen by something that already occurred here, I'm just as OK with making a decision and then explaining it as I am with open discussion.

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Sat May 16, 2009 6:06 pm
Profile E-mail

I'm pretty sure that nobody's going to back me, but I'm quite comfortable with simple social ostracism as a forum tool.

Sat May 16, 2009 6:08 pm
Profile E-mail

droog wrote:
I'm pretty sure that nobody's going to back me, but I'm quite comfortable with simple social ostracism as a forum tool.

In theory it sounds alright, but in practice I feel it could become very tedious waiting for the bad person to get the message.

"The Dude abides."

Sat May 16, 2009 6:12 pm

No no, I don't immediately jump in against social ostracism. I think it's a powerful tool.

The problem with social ostracism - and I've seen it happen form the old HTML/Java chat rooms of the early nineties to various forums now - is that it also builds this "cool kids" thing. It's never a goal, but it just naturally occurs - at least it has in a lot of my experiences.

I'm reaching out for something, touching nothing's all I ever do.

If you're interested in GaryCon

Sat May 16, 2009 6:21 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next